Saturday, December 5, 2009

I have a small dog kennel, would this work as a rabbit cage?

I have a small dog kennel. It @ four feet long and three in width. It has a pan that is removable at the bottom. Would this work for a rabbit cage. I have read it would. I plan on litter training my rabbit. I will start with a small pan in the corner the rabitt chooses to go to the bathroom. I have read that the wire cages can be uncomfortable for a rabbit. Many suggest putting cardboard over the wire. Just wondered what some peoples opinions areI have a small dog kennel, would this work as a rabbit cage?
I think i know what kind of cage you mean, i have a rabbit and a cage like that. that has been the best cage ive gotten for him. I tried a couple others that were suppose to be ';designed for rabbits'; that just didnt work out or last. I dont keep him in it all the time, just at nights and when im away at work. Most other times he has the run of the house. But its worked out great for him. The tray slides out easy underneath so it makes it easy to keep clean, the door opens wide so he doesnt have any problems going in or out. Plenty of room for a bunny.I have a small dog kennel, would this work as a rabbit cage?
no. rabbits won't go in it, due to the dogs scent still being in it
sounds like a good plan to me. go for it.
The dog cage can work, but you need to be careful what wire is used for the flooring of the cage.





Most wire rabbit cages use a 1/2';x1'; wire bottom floor with a heavy gauge wire (the smaller the gauge number, the heavier the thicker the wire). A thick wire gauge will make the wire floor easier on your rabbit's feet. Be careful about putting stuff on the wire. It can allow poop to build up and create problems instead of actually helping. If the adult size of your rabbit is 11 pounds or less, you can normally keep it on a wire floor. If the adult size is 12 pounds or more then I'd recommend using a solid wood floor.





Below is a website for wire flooring to build wire rabbit cages.





http://www.klubertanz.com/images/Klubert鈥?/a>





I strongly recommend getting the galvanized after welded wire. It last much longer than the galvanized before welded wire does. The galvanized before weldeded wire will start to rust after about 2-3 years. The galvanized after welded will often last 10-12 years before starting to rust. It is especially important to get the after welded for the flooring since the flooring tends to rust out quicker and the rust can hurt their feet.
Yes, A dog cage does work. I've kept various rabbits in them though the only problem is cleaning out the cage. I did it on a weekly bases and found out that the cage needed to be higher because the droppings pile up in the pan, but litter box trainning her is a wonderful idea





Wire cages can be uncomfortable but you should put down a ceramic tile because some bunnies develop a chocolet-like addiction for eating cardboard and plastic.
IT sound comfortable enough for a rabbit, but do not take my opnion for 100 % you should sitll wait for the other comment
I agree that you should put the cardboard over the bottom cause there feet can get stuck in there an it can hurt there feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
viruses